Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Embarrassment

Well, we embarrassed ourselves in our very first birthing class on Tuesday.  We have three classes left to redeem ourselves.
We made sure we arrived early to talk to the instructor about our "special" circumstances.  I introduced us and explained that we were able to attend the class, but I wouldn't be able to participate in any floor exercises per our doctor and the bed rest, etc.  She was very understanding and said that was fine.  Here we were, adults, about to have a baby and learning the anatomy of pregnancy and the different stages of labor.  I was somewhat uneasy about all of this less-than-stellar information regarding what exactly would happen to me in the coming months since I have been taking one day at a time and avoiding all of the "labor & delivery" info.  After going over all of this somber, yet exciting (because it means you are close to meeting your baby!) information, the teacher announced we will transition to some floor work. We were all shuffling tables and chairs and Chris and I were just trying to get out of the way. Most of the people in the class probably thought we just forgot our pillows and beach towel, but they were about to think we were more irresponsible than that!
For one of  these moments to happen, you need three ingredients; 1) to be exhausted yourself, 2) to have someone else in said state, and 3) a semi-funny element. All of these things aligned perfectly at the completely inappropriate time. Chris and I were sitting there waiting for our elderly and wise instructor to begin and we both looked at the same thing, looked at each other and said the same thing at the same time, then we lost it!  You know that unstoppable laughter that you can't contain even if someone offered you a million dollars to stop?  We both frantically tried to find another spot in  the room to focus on other than each other or the funny element. We were wiping tears, getting puzzled looks from classmates and the narrow chastising eye from the instructor.  I was horrified but couldn't stop.  Chris got up and left the room  leaving defenseless me to withstand the most awkward moment ever.  I finally pulled it together but looked as if I had been crying.  Chris later returned.  The friends we had in the class did not understand what our problem was. But, the class finally moved on and were giggling themselves at the weird calming, breathing techniques they were being asked to partake in.  Chris and I behaved until we were dismissed from the class.  We both gave a serious, "we're not crazy but we are responsible and not lying about the floor exercises to get out of doing weird stuff," smile and "thank you" to the teacher before we ducked out of the room.
So, there's always next week.  Hopefully everyone will forget about our momentary immature outburst.  If I told you what the funny element was, you wouldn't see the humor in it like we did.  In fact it was embarrassing  to relay to our fellow friend classmates who were there and didn't understand our outburst because it really didn't warrant the scene we made.  I think all of this bed rest is making me loopy and Chris was just an innocent bystander.
On another note, we go back the the doctor today.  Cohen seems to be doing well and no news is good news, praise God!  I try and never take these normal days for granted.  There are so many verses and truths I try and hold on to while we wait for the Lord to perfect his miracle.  This is just one:

Psalm 73:26
"My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

I know it may seem from some of my ramblings that I am fine and care-free, but the truth is I worry every day.  My thought is, things are going really well today, but that doesn't mean that will be true tomorrow.  I listen to everyone else's negative stories and by the time they are done I already have myself in their place in their own story convinced something like that will inevitably happen to me.  I have to be very vigilant about handing every thought over to God every day. I hate the uncertainty of it all, but I am learning so much!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, girl! I had a scary pregnancy with Colin (and heard lots of "you'll probably have this that or the other problem" from my doctors), but Colin ended up surprising them all and was 6 days late and 10 pounds even. Doctors, in all their "infinite" wisdom (sarcasm intended), don't always know what they're talking about. Put your faith in God and try to do your best to relax! (P.S. I know that's WAY easier said than done!)

    ReplyDelete